We all know that what we eat and drink affects our metabolism. Caffeine is a go-to for many people looking for a quick boost, but there are other options out there that can give you sustained energy throughout the day. Here are five metabolism-boosting drinks to keep your engine running smoothly.
- Tea: Black, green, and oolong teas contain caffeine, which has been shown to increase metabolism. In one study, participants who drank four cups of green tea a day for two months increased their metabolic rate by 4%. Green tea also contains catechins, which are antioxidants that help the body burn fat.
- Coffee: Like tea, coffee contains caffeine, which can give you a temporary boost in metabolism. Coffee also contains chlorogenic acid, which helps the body burn fat and slows the absorption of glucose into the bloodstream. In one study, participants who consumed six cups of coffee a day burned an extra 56 calories per day. That might not sound like much, but it can add up over time!
- Water: Staying hydrated is important for many reasons, including keeping your metabolism running smoothly. When you’re dehydrated, your body has to work harder to function properly, which can lead to a slowdown in metabolism. Drinking eight cups of water a day has been shown to increase metabolic rate by 30%.
- Coconut water: Coconut water is high in electrolytes like potassium and magnesium, which are essential for proper muscle function. Coconut water has also been shown to improve hydration and help the body absorb more water. In one study, participants who drank coconut water before exercise increased their metabolic rate by 15% during exercise. It is one of the best supplements to help to boost metabolism
- Lemon water: Lemon water is a great way to start your day because it helps wake up your digestive system. Lemon water also contains vitamin C, which is important for keeping your immune system functioning properly. Vitamin C has also been shown to increase metabolism by aiding in the conversion of fat into energy.
Apple Cider Vinegar
While the taste might not be for everyone, apple cider vinegar has many benefits that make it worth tolerating. Apple cider vinegar can help stabilize blood sugar levels, which helps reduce cravings and overeating. It also contains acetic acid, which has been shown to boost metabolism by up to 30%. Add 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water or drink it straight (if you can handle it!).
These five drinks are easy ways to give your metabolism a boost so you can have sustained energy throughout the day. Try incorporating them into your diet and see how they make you feel!