Keeping your dog healthy can be difficult, especially if you don’t know what to feed them. There are so many different types of food, and so many different brands, it can be overwhelming. The truth is there are all kinds of diets that your dog can have, but if you want to know the best food for your dog, you need to understand what’s in their diets, and why it’s important.
What makes Dog Food Good?
Dog food is made up of a variety of ingredients. Some of these ingredients are necessary to have a good diet, and others should be avoided as much as possible.
- Meat (Beef, Chicken, etc): Most dog food needs meat to provide protein. Dogs are omnivores, so their bodies are able to use the protein found in meat, and they have no problems digesting it.
- Fruits & Vegetables: Just like humans dogs need a healthy diet, and fruits and vegetables are a good way to supplement kibble. Dogs can’t digest some of the fiber in veggies, so they are not a complete replacement for kibble, but they are healthier than some of the things you may find in dog food.
- Carbs: Carbohydrates are actually really important for your dog, but you should make sure that they come from good sources. For example, brown rice is a great source of carbohydrates for dogs, and it’s healthy for them.
What to avoid?
As with most things, it’s good to know what you should avoid when looking for the best dog food.
- Cereal: Cereals are not necessary in a dog’s diet, and they provide no nutritional value. Avoid foods with large amounts of cereal filler.
- By-products: By-products are the leftover materials from slaughtering animals for food, such as organs and intestines. They are cheaper for producers, but they provide no nutritional value.
- Artificial Preservatives: Artificial preservatives have been linked to a number of health problems in dogs.
- Chemicals: There are a lot of chemicals that can be found in dog food, most of which have not been tested for their adverse effects. Avoid additives, preservatives, dyes, etc.
- Grains: Grains are often included in dog food as a filler. It makes the food cheaper and it fills your dog up, but grains are not necessary for a healthy dog.
Homemade Dog Food
Homemade dog food is a great way to give your dog what they need, but it can be complicated. If you’re interested in this option for your dog, here are a few tips before you begin:
- Know what’s good and bad for your dog. If you want to make your own food, make sure that you know what’s in it, and if anything should be avoided.
- Take it slow. It’s good to transition into a new food slowly, and that applies to homemade dog food as well. If you suddenly switch your dog’s diet, they may not handle the change well.
- Talk to your vet. Vets are always great for advice on what you should feed your dog, and they can help you understand the best ways to prepare food for your dog.
- Know how much to feed them. If you’ve just given your dog a new diet, it’s good to know exactly how much they should be eating.
Finding the best food for your dog can take some time, but it’s worth it. If you want to make sure that your dog is getting the nutrients they need, you should definitely look into what’s should be in their diet.